is the primary contact.
The service continuity training involves instructing medical librarians on the components of the NN/LM's Emergency Preparedness & Response Plan: 10-Step Approach to Service Continuity Planning. This class is divided into three sessions.
|Continuing Education Experience:
|CE Contact Hours:
||Leadership and Management
The overall goal is that each participant will be able to identify the Ten Steps and using the suggestions in the NN/LM's Emergency Preparedness & Response Toolkit develop a continuity of service/disaster plan.
* Ability to generate anecdotal information and determine risks for library
* Development of written procedures for emergencies specific to their environment and later use those for staff training and drills
* Identify services that would be most needed immediately following some kind of major service disruption (e.g. Interlibrary Loan, bibliographic searches, reference help)
* Develop strategies for maintaining access to the core services remotely
* Identify core resources that will be most needed after a disaster
* Development of continuity of access plan and determine back-up power sources and access to resources
* Determine core print resources in library and develop floor plan showing their location.
* Be able to list unique resources and highly valued materials, such as institutional records, historical materials and artifacts
* Develop list of unique resources and know salvage companies available in the area
* Identify a partner library for back-up and know where to find Model Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Mutual Aid Agreement (MAA) forms on the NN/LM EP&R Toolkit and know contact information for the NN/LM regional office.
Step 1: Assess risks
Step 2: Protect yourself, your staff, and your patrons
Step 3: Create procedures to ensure continuation of core services
Step 4: Create procedures for remote access to core services and resources
Step 5: Develop a mutual aid agreement with another library or network
Step 6: Proactively plan for the rescue and recovery of your highly valued materials
Step 7: Develop a communication plan
Step 8: Know how to obtain outside assistance
Step 9: Develop a PReP for service continuity
Step 10: Be prepared at home
Need for This Course:
NN/LM conducted a national assessment of emergency preparedness through a questionnaire administered to a random, national sample of network members, during the 2006-2011 Contract. The report found that 69% of responding Network members did not have an emergency preparedness and response plan and 63% indicated they did not have a continuity of services/operations plan. In response to the question “What types of support could NN/LM offer to make your library better prepared to respond to an emergency?,” 56% checked “Training in emergency preparedness and response” and 69% indicated “Assistance in developing continuity of services/operations plans.”
The instructional methods used include
Lecture, Slides, Discussion, Brainstorming, Sharing/Self-disclosure, and Hands-on Exercises.
Internet access and telephone. Sessions will be presented online via Adobe Connect.